Friday, April 29, 2011

April 29, 2011

Today I officially began my thru-hike! As of this posting I am nestled in my sleeping bag and preparing for a well earned nights rest.

We left Coronado Island this morning at about 6:30 and started driving east to Campo, CA. The trail begins (or ends) about 2 miles south of this small town. We arrived at the border just before 8:00, took a few pictures, and then we were off! My dad hiked the first couple miles with me from the border to hwy 94, where my mom was waiting with the car.

Over the course of the next 15 miles I hiked with a few different people at different times and also hiked alone part of the way. The desert here is much less desert-y than I was expecting. There is a lot of brush and some trees, most of which is still green at this point! (pictures hopefully coming soon)

The weather ended up being just about perfect. I think the forecast was for about 70, and there was a nice breeze blowing through to keep me cool as I hiked. Both my mom and dad hiked south from the campground and walked the last couple miles with me to Lake Morena, getting in just before 3:00pm.

The rest of the day was spent at the ADZPCTKO where they had a few different presentations on the water report, alternate routes through the High Sierra, as well as fires and bears, and I've had the chance to meet some other hikers. There was also a collection of short films made by previous thru-hikers they showed at the end of the evening which made me even more excited to keep moving on!

Time for me to go to bed so I can enjoy another day at KO before heading out toward Warner Springs and Idyllwild!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex! So happy to hear that you are on your way! Will be thinking about you and sending best thoughts your way. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. We will miss you at the family bowling tournament I'll try and hit a strike for you! Happy Trails .........xox Arleen

    ReplyDelete