Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 6, 2011

June 6, 2011

Start: 656
End: 681

Today was mostly a solitary day. I walked with 12 ounce and Gangsta Rap the first couple hours through the cloud/fog at about 7000' before we descended to lower elevations, less wind, and slightly warmer weather.

From 9 to 11:40 when we got to the next water source I hiked alone. I ate the usual lunch with Colin, Headbanger, Nicole, Chris, and Happy Whale. After lunch at 12:45 I set off on my own again for the next 11 miles to the next creek for water and a BLM campground just up the road.

Along the way I smelled a few trees. I know that may sound strange, but hear me out. Gangsta Rap graduated from UW with a degree in forestry and enlightened us that Jeffrey Pines smell like cream soda. The trick is that you have to find one that has some nice deep grooves in it's bark, preferably in the sun. I encourage you to try it sometime. I believe Ponderosa Pines are similar as well.

Walking alone affords lots of time to think about many things. One of the things I thought about today was how much of my food has disappeared since the resupply in Tehachapi. This is both a bad and a good thing as you can imagine. On the one hand my pack is much lighter than it was a few days ago which is totally awesome. On the other hand, I have been having to ration my food so as not to eat too much each day and run out of food before Kennedy Meadows. This section I have never really been full, but not starving either. Just a little hungry most of the time. I guess it's better than being mostly hungry a little of the time? Maybe not. Either way I am really looking forward to burgers and other hot food at Kennedy Meadows.

Misspellings brought to you by iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment