Friday, May 20, 2011

May 16, 2011

Start: 265
End: 284

The team is back together again! We got a bit of a late start due to eating breakfast at the hostel, taking care of a few last minute errands, and Wiz going through Kylie's entire pack to get rid of duplicate or unnecessary items to reduce her packweight a little.

We made it to the trailhead on Hwy 18 by 11:00am after getting a hitch from an older gentleman named David who appeared to be a former marine. It was actually kind of fun to hitch, but I think that is due in part to the fact that inwas not hitching alone, and it only took about 10 min to get picked up.

After about an hour of hiking, we ran into Sunshine (the 11 year old thruhiking) and her dad, Balls. We hiked with them for about 1:30 before we all stopped to take a break for lunch at 2:45pm. Annie, Wiz, Kylie, and I had again packed more food than was necessary for the next 100 miles to Wrightwood, so we indulged and ate as much as we could to reduce our packweights. It will be interesting to see how food selection and packing will go once we get to the Sierra since we will need to keep all our food in bear cans, and the rumor is you eat twice as much, and can only do half your normal miles each day.

It got to be pretty chilly while we were eating lunch, so as soon as the eating was over, we started back on the trail to warm back up again. The scenery over the next 11 miles was fairly mundane, with the exception of a few glimpses of Big Bear Lake and the surrounding mountains. Other than that we walked through an area that was fairly desolate due to a recent burn.

We stopped at Little Bear Springs Trail Camp for dinner at about 5:30 and also decided to camp just across the creek where a few unscathed pine trees provided minimal shelter. We have heard that there may be another storm system coming through the area tonight or tomorrow, but I hope it will be a dry and uneventful night.

Misspellings brought to you by iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment