Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 13, 2011

Start: 2280
End: 2303

"Wow!"
"Oh my goodness!"
"This is amazing!"
These are three of the things I repeated often today as we continued to hike through the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

It all started this morning as we were packing up camp near the headwaters of the Cispus River. We looked across fields of lupine to the West and saw Mt St Helens glowing with the first hint of sunlight on it's crater lip, while the near full moon lingered just above. As we climbed out of the meadow we were treated to views of our second volcano of the day, Mt Adams. Adams also had the early morning glow from the sun rays striking it's snowy flanks. Then it was snowgrass flats, followed by yet another volcano (Rainier) and up and up until we were perched at the top of the knife edge ridge near Old Snowy Mtn. I could go on and on, but I really shouldn't. I will simply say that if you have a free day or weekend you should go for a hike up to Snowgrass Flat. Do it! I promise, you'll like it (pending weather of course).

http://nwhiker.com/gifford2.html


Sent from the PCT

No comments:

Post a Comment