Friday, August 19, 2011

August 16, 2011

Start: 1662
End: 1680

It was a rather typical day in Seiad Valley. The dirt was dusty, the air was dry, and the sun was hot. Within minutes of hiking I was dripping with sweat, which glistened like diamonds on my taut, sinewy muscles. -- I apologize for that digression. We just finished reading Brazen (romance novel) and it really got my juices flowing, the creative juices of course.

I also finished listening to an audiobook today, at the opposite end of the literature spectrum: "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking. It was very interesting to listen to, and really made me think about how small each of us are on a universal scale. It's fascinating to hear Hawking's perspective and explanation of various scientific theories, including general relativity and quantum mechanics, relating to how the universe was created, as well as how God may or may not fit into that picture. This is particularly interesting given that Hawking is on the leading edge of quantum physics as well as a devout Christian. It all leads to current times where scientists are searching for a unified theory of physics to explain everything. The last line of the book is something to the effect that if such a theory is discovered/proven than we will know the mind of God; crazy stuff.

On another note, I picked my first huckleberries of the trip today! They were slightly under-ripe, but delicious nonetheless and they have whet my appetite for the multitudes to come soon I hope! Despite what many have described as one of the worst climbs, as well as hottest of the entire PCT, I found that I enjoyed pretty much all the hiking today, including the climb. It might have something to do with the fact that I feel fully rested again after the 100 miles in 71 hours, but whatever it is, I like it and hope it continues!

A bonus for the day came just after dinner. We had eaten near a road, and just as we were packing up, a truck drove by, stopped, and a woman got out. We weren't sure what to expect, but it turned out that she was a very nice lady on her way from Williams, OR to Seiad Valley, CA to see her boyfriend. And she gave us beer! It was a great way to wind down the day. Truly magical!

Sent from the PCT

No comments:

Post a Comment