Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 28, 2011

Start: 1926
End: 1954

Today we entered into the Three Sisters Wilderness. There have been a lot of mosquitos, but also a lot of lakes! For some reason it seems like the mozzies are worse on the trail than they are at the lakes, so we planned each break to correspond with a lovely lake. There have also been a ton of huckleberries, mostly in the burned areas that receive an abundance of sun. They are a delicious distraction, but there just isn't enough time to pick them if we are to hold to the schedule we set for ourselves.

While hiking, we spend a fair amount of time talking about random subjects each day, but one that is currently in my mind was about cliches. Certain ones like, "it's not the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away," and "money can't buy happiness," or, like a song says, "live like you were dying." The longer I'm out here, the more they seem to ring true, rather than remain just a witty saying or lyric in a song. I find that there is some validity behind those cliches, which originally led to their wide usage, and hence their transition to cliche. (a vicious cycle.) Reevaluating these played out sayings makes me realize how important it is to take a break from regular life every once in a while, even if that's just to go out for a walk or run, or tend to a garden. I've also heard a lot of people say, "I wish I would have hiked the PCT when I was younger," to them I say: there's still plenty of living left for all of us to do. Make time to do something for you!

Sent from the PCT

No comments:

Post a Comment