Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 22, 2011

Start: 1776
End: 1806

I'd like to take a moment today to talk about food. I know, I know, nothing new here. This time though, it's about the resupplies. It seems that each resupply leads to two situations: feast or famine. Let me explain...

The last resupply from Seiad Valley to Ashland was a feast. I had my resupply box, plus food from two care packages, all of which I wanted to take with me, but more for future resupplies rather than the few days it would take to get to Ashland. It was great. I don't mind carrying a little "extra" weight if it means I can eat anytime I want.

This section, however, from Ashland to Crater Lake, has been the opposite. The first couple days were fine, but I realized yesterday that I only packed three cooked meals, rather than four, and the same for Clif bars. Since realizing this, I have been keeping careful track of what I've been eating so I can spread out my food consumption over the remaing time. It isn't all that big of a deal, but it's not as much fun when you have to ration. You can be sure that hiking out of Crater Lake I will have a feast for the next section!

Sent from the PCT

No comments:

Post a Comment